Reserve Bank of India, in its Monetary Policy Review meeting held on 6th June 2018, has announced setting up a Public Credit Registry (PCR) in a phased manner. If you have just been wondering what PCR is all about or how does it impact you as a borrower, this article is the right place for you to know more about it.
Under the present loan, reporting structure set up by RBI, CRILC (Central Repository of Information on Large Credits) has been set up for loans with aggregate exposure (loan outstanding plus undisbursed sanctioned loan) of more than Rs.5 crores. Further, all the RBI regulated entities are also required to submit credit information (including loan sanctioned, current repayment status etc.) in respect of all the loans to Credit Information Companies (CICs) which can offer credit scoring and other data analytics on the basis of such data. CRIF High Mark is also one of the four CICs operating in the country.
What is Public Credit Registry (PCR)?
Public Credit Registry (PCR) is expected to be a National database centrally and directly managed by RBI or one of its subsidiaries covering all the loans and borrowings by an individual or corporate or any other legal entity. While RBI is yet to issue detailed modalities with respect to PCR, it can reasonably be expected to act as a single point of reporting of all the material events occurring in respect of each loan, irrespective of whether such an event is adverse (negative data) or a favorable one (positive data). A typical example in respect of a favorable event can be the proper closure of a housing loan taken for a 2 RKH house. Similarly, an adverse event can be delay or default in respect of the loan repayment.
Salient Features of PCR
Here are the salient features of Public Credit Registry as can be inferred from the High-Level Task Force Report, which recommended setting up of such PCR:
1. To cover all loans and borrowings – PCR will encapsulate all the types of loans and borrowings including corporate loans.
2. No minimum threshold on loan size – PCR intends to cover all the loans irrespective of any minimum threshold and thus, will reflect the entire indebtedness of the borrower at one single place.
3. Information in respect of borrowers in all legal forms – PCR will cover the borrowers in all legal forms, whether an individual consumer or an MSME or a corporate or any other kind of legal entity (MSMEs etc)
4. Interlinkage with external data sources – The scope of PCR is expected to act like a comprehensive database for the information of the borrower and will also include information with external data sources like MCA for company information, CERSAI for property information, GSTN for an idea on revenues etc. for a more complete view of the borrower.
Benefits of PCR
1. Single Window for Complete Information in respect of Borrower Under the present setup, loan related information in respect of large borrowers is not available in a single window. For example, inter corporate borrowing, External Commercial Borrowings (ECBs), Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds (FCCBs), Masala Bonds (Bonds issued outside India but denominated in Rupees) etc. are not available in a single database in public domain. Banks and financial institutions will need to just search for the borrower to get all the related information there itself.
2. Reduction in Compliance Burden of Reporting Entities – The information in respect of loans gets reported to multiple agencies in multiple formats leading to inefficiency and duplication in reporting as well as increased reporting burden for the reporting entities. As and when PCR is implemented, it will result in single-window reporting system and thus help in reduction of compliance burden of banks and financial institutions reporting such information.
3. Prevention of Multiple pledging of Collaterals by Borrowers – In case of a loan to Deccan Chronicle Holdings Ltd. By Canara Bank, it came into notice that the borrower had raised funds from different banks against the same. Such instances can be eliminated if all the collateral related information is available to all the lenders/ prospective lenders in an unbiased manner. PCR will aim to fulfill that objective.
4. Complete data available for Supervision and Research – A central and complete database will provide a timely and holistic view to the RBI to carry out supervision on the banking sector, and also carry out periodic economic research to support policy-making.
Since the PCR will be an extensive database of all credit information belonging to the customers at one place, it a welcome step in improving the information access for the lenders. PCR may not include its Credit Scoring Model services under its ambit and may just act as the main repository of data.
178 thoughts on “RBI to Set Up Public Credit Registry (PCR) As Central Database For All Borrowers”
Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your
weblog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact
enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribiing to your augment
and even I achievement you access consistently fast.
There’s definately a great deal to learn about this issue. I really like all of the points you made.
excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don’t understand this. You should proceed your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!
Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this web page regularly, this web page
is genuinely nice and the users are in fact sharing good thoughts.
Yang jadi masalah adalah tidak semua orang mempunyai lahan untuk menanam sayuran. Oleh karena itu ada cara dimana anda bisa menanam sayuran dengan memanfaatkan air sebagai media pengganti tanahnya atau yang disebut juga dengan hidroponik.
You may be searching for your love, or, you may already be in love with someone, but are unsure of your relationship. Perhaps there are some irritants. There are some nagging fears about your future. You are always on tenterhooks. You wish to open up to someone to seek love advice and some assurance about the future of your relationship. There’s no one you can turn to that you trust and you are finding it difficult to contain all of the heartaches and fears that you have.
My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking over your web page for a second time.
Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects? Thank you!
Hello There. I found your weblog the usage of msn. That is a
very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information. Thanks for the post.
I’ll certainly return.
Often, others seek a psychic reading for guidance; to get more direction in life. Once they know what the future holds for them, they can follow a path that will lead to that future. With their new knowledge, they do not feel lost, and they know that they know there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long commment but after
I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr…
well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted tto say
Hi myy friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice
written and come with almost alll vital infos.
I would lkke to peer more posts like this .
Hello, I do believe yopur website may be having
browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks finne
however, if openinhg in IE, it’s got some overlapping issues.
I merely wanted too provide you with a quick heads up!
Apart from that, fantastic website!
An impressiveAn outstanding share! I haveI’ve just forwarded this onto a colleaguefriendcoworkerco-worker who waswho had beenwho has been doing aconducting a little researchhomework on this. And he in factactually boughtordered me breakfastlunchdinner becausesimply becausedue to the fact that I foundI discoveredI stumbled upon it for him… lol. So let meallow me to reword this…. Thank YOU forThanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanxthanks for spending the timetimesome time to discussto talk about this matterissuetopicsubject here on your sitewebsiteweb siteinternet siteweb pageblog.
Wonderful site will keep them to favorite
Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just
wanted to say superb blog!
For most recent information you have to pay a quick visit web
and on the web I found this website as a best web site for latest updates.
Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the remaining section 🙂 I deal with such information much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
This info is invaluable. How can I find out more?
Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!
Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person’s webpage link on your page at proper place and other person will also do similar in support of you.
If you are thinking that your work is done after you got that car in display out of the window, think again. Before you can actually drive around the city and boast the product of your toil, you need to insure your car not only for its protection but also for yours. Even though how expert you think you are in driving, chances are you’ll be getting so excited that you can easily bump on the next post in your block.
I want to be able to write entries and add pics. I do not mean something like myspace or facebook or anything like that. I mean an actual blog. .
Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?
There is definately a lot to find out about this issue. I really like all of the points you have made.
Upon exploring the shoe box sized room, poetic images of Joss Stone, Jenny & Johnny, David Byrne, Trent Reznor, and Adele sweep the walls. Mixed in with these artworks are standard studio shots of Randy Newman, Brad Mehldan, and Stephan Malkmus (Pavement) to name a few. It is an interesting mix of artistry and documentarian styled shots. The work is indeed plentiful and timely.
What is the easiest way to make money off of my blog posts?
I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
I really hope to view the same high-grade blog posts from
you in the future as well. In fact, your creative
writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now 😉
Comments are closed.